On 26.07.18 08:29, cyaiplexys wrote:
> I'd like to try a native compiler but also I would like to have something I
> could compile for Arduino (here we go again) and ARM and other CPUs as well.

$ apt-cache search avr | more
arduino - AVR development board IDE and built-in libraries
libavresample-dev - FFmpeg compatibility library for resampling -
development files
libavresample4 - FFmpeg compatibility library for resampling - runtime
files
gcc-avr - The GNU C compiler (cross compiler for avr)
avrdude-doc - documentation for avrdude
avr-libc - Standard C library for Atmel AVR development
gdb-avr - The GNU Debugger for avr
avrdude - software for programming Atmel AVR microcontrollers
binutils-avr - Binary utilities supporting Atmel's AVR targets

When you install gcc-avr, binutils-avr will also be installed, else
gcc-avr can't produce executables. You can use avr-as to assemble your
own assembler source files, but if you put your *.S files through
gcc-avr, then you can use the 'C' header files, with cpp doing the macro
mappings.

Unless arduinoing, you'll probably want to install "make", as it's very
handy for building a code suite. (Duno what arduino uses, but IDEs
usually try to appear to do something more than the elements of a CLI
build environment - aka "*nix is the IDE")

Once entangled in the peripherals (initialisation and utilisation) of
one CPU, you'll find enough to learn that hopping on to the next target
will not immediately appeal. However, what you learn of the GNU
toolchain on one target is equally applicable to the next. (E.g. ld,
objdump, nm, ar, gprof, gdb, readelf, ...)

Read the avrdude manpage and avrdude-doc for suitable programming
dongles, or just hop on ebay. Maybe buy a couple of arduinos while there,
leave the bootloader intact, and produce your code with the GNU toolchain
if arduino "sketches" seem too naff. They're easier, than a laptop, to
screw to a post if the project is a computerised birdfeeder. (And easier
to power out there.)

Arduino: # apt-get install arduino
         Then read all doco, and google.

X86: Similar to above.