On Tue, Aug 07, 2018 at 11:10:39PM +0100, Carles Pina i Estany wrote:
That was quite lot of fun!

Good investigation and report, thanks, yes it was fun to read too!

Some time ago I added a second encrypted disk to my setup, but it is a
removable one. I wanted to use the same encryption passphrase as my
primary drive, so I looked into the systemd/keyctl stuff. I tried to
override the timeout, because I plug in the external drive roughly once
a month. (It's my offsite backup drive)

I figured out one hacky way to do that, but in the meantime a friend
suggested I just use a key file for the removeable drive instead, stored
on the internal encrypted drive. I considered my threat model, realised
that was fine, so abandoned my attempts to change the systemd/keyctl
timeout.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland