On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 3:39 PM Eric S Fraga <e.fr...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Would somebody please point me to the right magical incantation that
> would allow my desktop computer to have both connections active
> simultaneously?

I've done that on a couple boxes here -- a laptop (WiFi and an
Ethernet) and a workstation (2 Ethernets)

On both of them, I wrote a /etc/network/interfaces script to give an
IP to the Ethernet and start at boot. The others are DHCP and don't
come on at boot.

I wrote a little shell script that ifup's the DHCP, and enters a few
things into the routing table (the DHCP is to Comcast, so I have to do
a little cleaning up afterward to replace the garbage Comcast puts on
my computers).

The machines run reliably with both connections up:  Comcast for
blistering speed from the mirrors in the apt/sources lists, and my T1
for the real 'Net.

I'm on Buster too, BTW.

--
Glenn English