On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 07:21:55PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> OK, so I thought I'd wait 3 weeks, and yeah, I know, it's only been
> 20 days, but hey, color me impatient.
>
> What I ended up doing is just adding an xrandr entry to my xfce4
> session, but this seems to slow the startup of the GUI starting -
> i.e. it seems like XFCE4 does some internal default monitor (xrandr)
> layout, then runs my script which sets my preferred xrandr config/
> layout.
>
> Although I can't really be sure - I'm not sure how to properly test
> this, as it could just be a time/impatience illusion.

Here's my complete .xinitrc, which I am currently using and
gives me no problems.

----
xinput set-button-map "Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless
PID:1028" 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 6 7
xinput set-button-map "Logitech Unifying Device. Wireless
PID:1025" 1 2 3 4 5 8 9 6 7

. /home/dsr/bin/xadjust
exec xfce4-session
----

Here's xadjust:

----
#!/bin/sh
xrandr  --addmode VGA1 1920x1200
xrandr  --addmode HDMI1 1920x1200
xrandr --output VGA1 --mode 1920x1200
xrandr --output VGA1 --rotate normal
xrandr --output HDMI1 --mode 1920x1200
xrandr --output HDMI1 --left-of VGA1
xrandr --output HDMI1 --rotate left
----

xfce's Settings -> Display shows the config consistent with
this, and if I make changes there, they are adopted until the
session ends.

-dsr-