On Wednesday 29 August 2018 11:58:49 David Wright wrote:

> On Wed 29 Aug 2018 at 12:19:18 (+0200), to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 06:12:39AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 29 August 2018 04:34:38 to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > This is also true, but on this side of the pond, the inet service
> > > I pay 40 USD a month for, is expected to supply the mail server
> > > free [...]
> >
> > If your connectivity provider treats you well, this is a fine
> > option. I have my current connectivity provider in relatively low
> > esteem (that might change), so I wouldn't like to entrust them with
> > something as (hopefully) permanent as my mail address.
>
> And, of course, if you move house, your current ISP might not be
> available. Or you decide you need/don't need cable TV/landline, and
> want to switch provider. Or Fibre To The Cabinet/Premises arrives via
> a different provider. These are all reasons not to commit to your ISP
> as email address provider.
>
> It's cheap to register your own domain and find a suitable hosting
> provider. This makes moving and travelling much simpler.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

I've had the same physical address for 29 years this fall.  I've moved
providers several times, nearly always for improved service.  All of
verizons landlines are 60 yo copper, and have been "discovered" by
everybody in town who owns a garden spade. 5 years ago I lost telephone
in January, had to complain to the PSC to get it fixed, repeat 4 days
later, repeat, call the PSC, get cussed out by vz's people asking why I
kept calling the PSC, wrong question, they hung up on my answer, twice.

When I looked at the logs about the middle of May, I'd had a working
telephone for 11 days since the first of the year. I have patience, but
that was too much since the bills arrived on time and were paid on time
by my bank , so I moved it all to the local cable company and have had
zero wishes to ever look back, barring power failures exceeding 12
hours, it has Just Worked.

I put in a 20kw nat gas standby generator in about in that same time
frame just so I could keep the AC and the missus's oxygen generator
running.  Thats been a lifesaver for her.

AFAIAC, vz can go jump off a mountain, preferably west of the San Andreas
fault, which will, sometime in the next few hundred years, slide into
the pacific anyway.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)