On Mon, Sep 10, 2018, 23:42 Patrick Bartek <nemomm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 20:14:05 -0400
> Default User <hunguponcont...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Sep 9, 2018, 20:09 Patrick Bartek <nemomm...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I don't run Sid/Unstable, but "updates" on both Wheezy which I ran
> > > for 5+ years and now Stretch on occasion stall, but very rarely
> > > like 4 or 5 times a year. I've traced this particular "problem" to
> > > a repo that is not available for whatever reason. My guesses why
> > > are its files are being updated and access is locked out, the
> > > server is very busy and too overloaded to respond or is down for
> > > maintenance, its Internet access is off line, or my ISP is having
> > > problems.  I usually just CTRL-C out of it and try later which
> > > usually works.
> > >
> > > As to your "bug reports" download.  This could be the crux of your
> > > problem since that file is being updated to its most current status
> > > BEFORE it's downloaded.  My take a lot of time.
> > >
> > > And a third reason: You're using Sid.  It's called Unstable for
> > > multiple reasons.
> > >
> > > Have you tried using apt-get or apt instead of aptitude?  I haven't
> > > used aptitude since I first installed Sarge a dozen+ years ago using
> > > floppies.
> > >
> > > Also, besides checking your sources.list, check what's in
> > > sources.list.d, too.

> > Hi, Patrick.
> > Thanks for the reply.
> >
> > I have tried updating with:
> > - aptitude
> > - apt
> > - apt-get
> >
> > No difference.
> >
> > I checked /etc/apt/sources.list, it is unchanged and has worked ever
> > since I first upgraded to unstable, quite a while ago.
> >
> > I even tried changing repository mirrors. Again no change.
> >
> > And, BTW, the directory /etc/apt/sources.d is empty.
>
> I think you mean sources.list.d
>
> > BUT, I have been using kernel 4.18.1. On a hunch, I booted into kernel
> > 4.17.3. Then I did a small update of only 2 packages using aptitude.
> >
> > It worked without stalling at retrieving bug reports 0% !
>
> Check bug reports on 4.18.1.  Any reason you need to run .18?  Or Sid,
> for that matter?
>
> > So it might just be an issue with 4.18.1. But if so, I am surprised
> > that no one else using 4.18.1 has posted here, saying that they had
> > that problem also.
>
> Could be you're the only one having the problem.  It's not the first
> time someone experiences a problem that no one else does.  I've seen it
> happen even with Stable.  Each user's hardware and set up is pretty
> unique.
>
> > Or even to say that they haven't . . .
> > : )
> >
> > Anyway, I will wait until at least tomorrow to try it again, with a
> > larger update, to see how that goes.
>
> Well, it is Unstable.  So, problems are expected.  It's the nature
> of the beast. Let us know how it goes.  At worst, since .17 works,
> stick with it until the kernel after 4.18.1 is released. Or compile
> [...]

Hi, Patrick.

You are correct, of course - I did mean /etc/apt/sources.list.d . . .

I always try to use the latest version of the kernel and other packages as
soon as they come out - I want my fair share of the freshest bugs
available! That's why I track unstable.

: )

I will check for relevant bug reports on 4.18.1 tomorrow, and if necessary,
I can always use 4.17.3 for now.