On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 01:24:48PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> But i am not sure whether the official classification in
>   https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-priorities
> of the first three priorities really matches the idea of a set of
> "standard [system] utilities":
>
>   "standard
>    These packages provide a reasonably small but not too limited
>    character-mode system."
>
> I.e. no X Window System:
>   https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/x/xorg/control-1%3A7.7%2B19

I would not consider X[1] to be "standard" on anything other than a
desktop workstation.  I certainly don't install it on the vast majority
of the machines I manage.

> No command line CD/DVD/BD burning:
>   https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/c/cdrkit/control-9%3A1.1.11-3
>   https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/d/dvd%2Brw-tools/control-7.1-12
>   https://tracker.debian.org/media/packages/libi/libisoburn/control-1.4.8-3

Sounds pretty far from "standard" to me.  Bordering on "esoteric", even.
Again, CD/DVD/BD burning at all is generally only applicable to end-user
systems[2] and, given that X is usually installed on such systems, I
would expect GUI burners to be used much more widely than CLI programs.

[1] Specifically, an X server.  X client applications are often useful
on non-desktop systems.

[2] And, I would suspect, a rather small subset of end-user systems, at
that.  I only know one person who burns optical media these days, and
that's to back up large numbers of photos whenever her hard drive fills
up.

--
Dave Sherohman