After a lot of googling, trial and error I solved the issue
downgrading libasound2 and related packages to version 1.1.6:

libasound2_1.1.6-1_amd64.deb
libasound2_1.1.6-1_i386.deb
libasound2-data_1.1.6-1_all.deb
libasound2-dev_1.1.6-1_amd64.deb
libasound2-plugins_1.1.6-1+b1_amd64.deb
libasound2-plugins_1.1.6-1+b1_i386.deb

Something is really bad with current version 1.1.7 of libasound2.

Hope this helps someone.