Hi.

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 05:03:53PM -0500, Lee wrote:
> > b) You do not keep a single backup.
> >
> > Besides, avoiding all those cryptolockers is easy. You just need to
> > learn to distinguish a trusted software from the untrusted. A trusted
> > software comes to you with your OS (in this case - Debian main archive).
> > An untrusted software comes from elsewhere. Keep to a trusted software
> > and you'll be fine.
>
> Most probably.  But I think using Firefox comes with a certain amount
> of risk - probably not all that much on debian but still a risk; as
> does having an all-the-time online backup.

Using any browser comes with the same amount of risk, in fact.
But if the regular user cannot overwrite the backups - there's little
harm in that.

> > Avoiding human mistakes is impossible indeed, hence the backups. And
> > filesystem snapshots, but that's a different matter.

> > A good backup is run by cron. A bad backup is run manually.
> > Simple as that.
>
> How do you check that your cron backups worked?  Which is assuming you
> do check :)
> The manual backups I do are fast enough that I can watch and see that
> nothing went wrong.

Cron can and will send a e-mail to a pre-determined address, if a batch
job writes something to stdout/stderr.
So then you do a backup, you have two choices:

a) Log all and everything, and get your e-mail every day.
b) Log errors only and get your e-mail only if something goes wrong.

I prefer the latter, but YMMV.

Reco