Hi.

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 05:36:25AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

> >> https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20180630T203831Z/pool/main/f/firefox-esr/firefox-esr_52.9.0esr-1_amd64.deb
> >> exists
>
> >> No errors produced by apt update with the following in sources.list:
> >> deb https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20180630T203831Z/ stretch
> >> main
>
> > That snapshot of a main archive has firefox-esr version 52.6.0esr-1~deb9u1.
> > Have you tried another date?
>
> I knew 52.9 was released upstream in June, so I kept trying June archive dates
> and stopped when I found one containing 52.9. Upstream release bz2 that I
> previously wgeted turned out to be dated 25 June.

The problem is - version 52.6.0 haven't made it into the "main" that date.
They uploaded it into the "updates/main". Yes, these are different.
Hence the suggestion to use a later date.

I believe I have a way to simplify things here:

cd /var/cache/apt/archives/

wget
https://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20180630T203831Z/pool/main/f/firefox-esr/firefox-esr_52.9.0esr-1_amd64.deb

apt install ./firefox-esr_52.9.0esr-1_amd64.deb

Note that this syntax of "apt install" does more than "dpkg -i stuff",
dependency resolution in particular.

Reco