On 11/30/2018 09:22 AM, Hans wrote:
Am Freitag, 30. November 2018, 18:14:40 CET schrieb Default User:

When you are using a seperate home-partition you can easily install the whole
system new - and all user specific content will be saved and will not have to
configured by the user(s) again.

In case, you have no backup from the users......

Best

Hans

There is no need to have more than one partition for the reason you suggest. For 15 years or more there is no need to format before install, you only need to delete system files. You can save the files in users /home/user folder and do the install with no format, just use the same user name or change the user name to what you want before install. I do recommend deleting the users system files too before the install.

I often see people recommend a separate home partition.

But why would (or not) that be better than just a home directory within the
root directory?

Wouldn't one less partition be simpler, and therefore (all other things
being equal) better?

Opinions, please.

I dislike top posting.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Wheezy - KDE 4.8.4 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263