On 12/8/18 9:21 AM, rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:
On Saturday, December 08, 2018 02:59:15 AM Alexander V. Makartsev wrote:
You are over-complicating things.
I can believe that ;-)

You can build chroot in just a
separate folder using debootstrap.
Ahh, ok, then that is almost surely what I'll try at least at first.

Looking ahead, if I later want to experiment with real VMs, do they need to be
on separate partitions or can they also just be in separate folders?

And if they can be in separate folders, would there be any reason to consider
putting them on separate partitions?

chroot is not fully fledged VM in meaning of hardware abstraction. It is
just a way to make files (executables, libraries, settings) inside a
folder "/opt/chroot-sid-amd64/" *believe* they are in "/".
So if you change some settings inside chroot "/etc/" they will actually
be changed in "/opt/chroot-sid-amd64/etc/". This is why chroot is
convenient to try things, install tons of -dev and dependency packages
without cluttering or breaking actual working system.
I recommend to read manuals for "debootstrap" and also "schroot" can
make creating multiple chroot-ed environments more straight forward,
eliminating the need to setup some settings manually, such as bind mount
system partitions like "/sys" into chroot.
Most userland VMs are just (collections of) files, neither folders
nor partitions.

--
Carl Fink          c...@finknetwork.com
Thinking and logic and stuff at Reasonably Literate