On Sun, 9 Dec 2018, Liam O'Toole wrote:

On 2018-12-08, Felmon Davis <dav...@union.edu> wrote:
Greets!

I decided to upgrade from Jessie to Stretch last night. it seems to
have worked though there are some oddities.

now VLC has grotesquely large control buttons ("Play," "Pause", etc.);
the interface in general seems to run on a different 'theme' than
before. the font size is ok.

[...]

note a complication: I had Devuan installed and just did the Stretch
update on top of it. not sure of the relevance (thus I mention it).

Me neither, but it does muddy the waters somewhat.

I don't recall the version of VLC on Jessie; it's "3.0.3 Vetinari"
here.

You have upgraded from vlc2 to vlc3, and from qt4 to qt5.

I am using Trinity Desktop which maintains a version of KDE3.

Meanwhile, kde3 uses qt3. It may be that qt4 had better backward
compatibility than qt5. Have you tried running vlc3 in another desktop
environment?

I think you are right about qt problems and you propose a nice test but, happily, it is now somewhat moot.

I did a smarter google search and found a solution; the following environment string does it:

export QT_AUTO_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTOR=0

for persistence across boots it's advised to put this in:

/etc/profile.d/gnome-qt.sh

I haven't tested this yet.

I want to thank all contributors to this thread! it helps to have the support with trouble-shooting and solving.

I have a problem with the menu items in OpenOffice being invisible unless the mouse crosses over them but may open a different thread. wonder if it is a related issue.

f.

--
Felmon Davis