On Friday 04 January 2019 08:15:11 Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 09:22:49PM -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > In this case, I hate to sound like
> > an ass, but perhaps a re-install is in the future, doing the
> > reinstall to a new drive [...]
>
> Come on, people.  Show some sense.  (And yes, this includes the OP.)
>
> He simply has a full root file system.  He has shown the df output at
> least twice now.
>
> (A full root file system clearly and plainly shown by df despite the
> OP claiming he is certain he's not out of space, no less.)

I don't have an argument against any of that Greg, but lets clarify one
thing here and now for the OP. Several responders keep using the "/root"
to describe what you clearly intend to be interpreted as the root of the
filesystem, AKA "/" when in 99.99% of the installs /root is the
sysadmin's home DIRECTORY, and not the root of the filesystem.

So lets all quit using /root as the base of the filesystem, it is not, /
is. /root is normally roots home directory, root being user #1 and there
is quite a large diff.

My own reinstall to a new, much larger disk, recommendation still stands,
that the OP would be back to a working system where he could remount
that old drive to his new install and recover the data he needs to
continue his project, much faster than he'll be able to fix this
install. IOW, the most expedient way to get the OP back up to speed on
whatever it is that he may be working on.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)