On Fri 04 Jan 2019 at 14:02:27 (-0500), Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> On 01/04/2019 01:11 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
> > Stephen P. Molnar composed on 2019-01-04 12:57 (UTC-0500):
> >
> > > I haven't messed around with partitioning since the early days of
> > > Slackware, and that was with a great deal of trepidation?
> > You just multiplied my curiosity about what exactly was responsible for
> > your current partitioning
> > scheme, not to mention what will be used for your planned reinstallation.
> The installer for Debian Stretch has an new option thzt  thought I'd
> try.:  separate /home, /var and/temp partitions.

Ignoring /home as it dwarfs / in size, it would be very easy to make a
mistake if you take an existing installation and hive off the /tmp and
/var into separate partitions. The problem boils down to leaving the
existing /var contents (in the root filesystem) in place when you
mount the new var partition onto /var, thereby making those files
inaccessible.

> Over the last 50+ years as  Research Scientist I have tried to follow
> the policy that it's all right to make mistakes..  As long as you try
> not to make the same mistake in the same contiguous four hours - that
> is if you make a mistake in the morning, wait until that afternoon to
> repeat it.  But even more important from the mistake and try not to
> repeat it. I think that making mistakes is an integral part of the
> scientific method.
>
> Of course, there is a corollary - you can't teach an old scientist new
> science.
>
> Having babbled for the last two paragraphs, I'll close buy saying that
> I will revert to the entire installation on the same partition.

I would advise you to keep your separate /home partition. Except for
dot files/directories, they're independent of the OS. It makes
reinstallation and upgrades a lot easier.

Cheers,
David.