On 02/08/2019 12:55 PM, David Wright wrote:
On Fri 08 Feb 2019 at 07:18:39 (-0600), Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm running Debian Stretch with MATE desktop.
I want the current user and all future users to include all
directories in root's $PATH.

If you're talking about PATH, then you're talking about logging in.
So of equal importance to the DE you're using is the DM, and I'll
guess that's likely lightdm. Was that amongst your search terms? >
I haven't found a definitive answer in my web search. The answers
seem to depend on which Linux is used and multiple parameters.

Yes, as are so many other details of configuration.

If searching outwards gets you no further, then perhaps turn your
attention inwards. For example,   grep -r PATH /etc   or, a little
less noisy,   grep -r PATH= /etc   will reveal some candidates
(plus lots of false positives, which the filenames will make obvious).

I used "grep -r /usr/local/games /etc" which yielded "/etc/login.defs" and "/etc/profile". Editing those two files had no effect.

I did a new search including "lightdm" as one term.
I got multiple hits - [none seemed authoritative].

I did get one hit which hints I may not get what I want.

A thread discussing a quite different situation says in part:
The basic problem is that lightdm in Debian hard-codes the path https://launchpadlibrarian.net/94971962/01_set-default-path.patch
        [https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2014/04/msg00006.html]
Although the link is to a Ubuntu bug report, not Debian, the code shown is consistent with my observations.

Unless someone can point to a single location to modify that:
  1. modify existing user(s)
  2. have effect for ALL future users
  3. survive updating to future releases
I'll drop the issue.