On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 09:51:11AM -0300, Francisco M Neto wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-04-11 at 08:20 +0400, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> > And is there any way I can install just that one package as the
> > > newer
> > > version on debian stretch without changing the repos to testing for
> > > the
> > > whole OS?
> >
> > I guess that the best you can do is to build your own package from
> > the debian source material.
>
>       Alternatively, if the package has been updated in testing you
> can download the .deb and install it manually with 'dpkg -i'.

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Do not EVER install a package from "testing" on a "stable" release.

If there is a backport of the package, you may use that.

If there is not, you may attempt to backport it yourself.  This may be
easy, difficult, or impossible, depending on the build dependencies of
the package.

If a backport is not feasible, you may build the package manually from
upstream sources and install in /opt or /usr/local.