Hi,

On Thu, 23 May 2019 11:44:14 +0300
Georgios <gpdsbe+deb...@mailbox.org> wrote:

> Hi there!
> I'm thinking installing debian on a new laptop. The problem is that the
> current version is stretch that comes with an old kernel that doesn't
> support my wifi card.
> I was thinking about using backports to install the latest kernel.
>
> I have the following questions.
>
> When I install stable and use a kernel from backport when you install it
> you upgrade a couple of packages like libglib, firmware-linux-free etc
>
> When the buster is released what happens when i try to upgrade the
> system from stretch to buster?
> Do I have to remove backports from sources.list?
> What happens to the packages that were upgraded from backports? Are they
> replaced by the new stable packages?

before starting an upgrade from stretch to buster (or any oldstable to
stable) you should remove backports from the sources.list at any rate. In
my own personal experience the best bet is to remove anything except the
line

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ stretch main contrib non-free

from the sources.list prior to the upgrade. Usually this gives you a
smooth upgrade procedure. Packages from backports (or multimedia or
whatever one may use in addition to plain debian) will be replaced by the
new stable packages if these are newer. If you need (or just want)
anything from backports (or multimedia or whatever) just re-install these
packages after the upgrade.

Regards

Michael

Klingon phaser attack from front!!!!!