Le 16/06/2019 à 15:53, Stephen P. Molnar a écrit :
I have just installed a new SSD in my 64 bit Stretch platform.

When I boot the machine I get the following error:

error: file '/boot/grub/i386-pc/normalmod' not found
Entering rescue mode .. . .
grub rescue>_

Pressing Contro-Alt-Delete reboots the system.  Pressing Delete , or F-8,during the post opens the ASUS UFEI Bios Utility - EZ mode (actually, F-8 opens the boot selection).

Clicking  on P0 boots the machine normally.
(...)
Sda1 is the Stretch OS (P0), sdd1 is the new drive.
(...)
     1. What might be the source of the error?

My first guess, like bw, would be that adding the new SSD has somhow changed the BIOS/UEFI boot order and now it defaults to boot another disk which contains an incomplete GRUB (maybe a remain of a deleted installation).

At the grub rescue prompt, you could type the commands "ls" and "set" and report the returns (not all variables, only "cmdline" and "prefix" are interesting). You could also run bootinfoscript from the boot-info-script package and post the initial part of the report (before the contents of grub.cfg).

    2. More importantly, what is the solution, would running update-grub solve the problem?

No. A missing or corrupted grub.cfg does not cause this kind of error. The error means that the GRUB core image successfully loaded but failed to find the contents of /boot/grub where it expected it.

The best solution is to fix the boot order in the BIOS/UEFI settings. A workaround when the former is not applicable is to run grub-install to install a copy of GRUB on the actual boot drive.