On Monday 17 June 2019 07:59:51 pm rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Monday, June 17, 2019 01:05:54 PM Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I am lucky, my ISP uses the connecting MAC to translate to a fixed
> > ipv4, that has not changed in 6 years. So my web page address in my
> > sig has not changed in 6 years even if I swap the router as my
> > standby unit has the good ones MAC cloned into it.  So I get a
> > registered STATIC domain for almost zip compared to the cost and
> > monkey business associated with keeping a dynamic address uptodate
> > globally.
>
> Interesting, and I think I have the same kind of luck.  (When I
> checked several years ago, the ipv4 address from my ISP was the same
> whenever I checked for a fairly long period.  I'm checking again, and
> hoping to find my notes of that address from those years ago.)
>
> But, the main point of this reply is to ask you to provide a little
> more detail of how you set up everything so that you can host your web
> page that way.
>
> I guess I'd have to set up Apache or some similar web server -- I
> guess I did that once upon a time, and should be able to do it again.
>
> How did you get the information about your webserver (host name and IP
> address) into the DNS servers?  Did you have to pay someone to set
> that up and then pay a continuing fee to maintain those entries?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can offer!

namecheap.com, just a few bucks for a 5 year registration of a fixed
address, now on another 5 year renewal:
from my sig:
gene@coyote:~$ ping geneslinuxbox.net
PING geneslinuxbox.net (204.111.64.149): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 204.111.64.149: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.274 ms

Now, apache2 is running on port 6309, not on the usual port 80 and dd-wrt
is set to port-forward that port to this machines internal 192.168.xx.xx
address at that same port.  You can also port-fwd to port 80 at the same
address and leave apache2's default at port 80.  Mauchs Nichs as long as
they match. The 6309 is homeage to a Hitachi cpu that smartens up a
trs-80 Color computer running what we now call nitros9, used to be os9.
Its a mini-unix that runs on a 16 bit cpu that has PCR addressing.

Your trivia factoid for today.  Its sort of a secret aas Hitachi had
permission to clone the moto 6809 in cmos, but were and are precluded
from mentioning it was an improved clone. It can even do some 32 bit
math!

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis