Hi,

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 20:08:16 +0300
Teemu Likonen <tliko...@iki.fi> wrote:

> Michael Lange [2019-06-21 17:44:08+02:00] wrote:
>
> > sure, because I want to be able to control the subtitle's appearance.
> > The player in question displays text subtitles, however with a tiny,
> > almost unreadable font and doesn't have any option to change this.
>
> The "ass" subtitle format contains data about text's appearance, for
> example:
>
>     Style: Default,Arial,16,&Hffffff,&Hffffff, [...]
>
> So you can at least suggest a font and font size as well as colours.
> Maybe your player can read such subtitles.

sure, that's what I tried first. The player ignores the .ass style options
happily.

> Or if not, you can "burn" your subtitles to the moving picture with
> ffmpeg's "subtitles" video filter. Edit a subtitle file like
> "subtitles.ass" so that it has "Style" line (see above) with your
> preferred font, font size, maybe location coordinates etc. Then
> something like this:
>
>     ffmpeg -i original.mp4 -map 0:v:0 -map 0:a:0 \
>         -vf subtitles=filename=subtitles.ass \
>         -c:v libx264 -crf 22 -c:a copy output.mp4

I know, but this seems to take like forever (or at least several hours for
a 120 min. 1080p video here :)
Plus, as I understand it, you have to recode the whole video which might
do nothing good to video quality unless you watch what you are doing.

Best regards

Michael

        "It's hard to believe that something which is neither seen nor
felt can do so much harm."
        "That's true.  But an idea can't be seen or felt.  And that's
what kept the Troglytes in the mines all these centuries.  A mistaken
idea."
                -- Vanna and Kirk, "The Cloud Minders", stardate 5819.0