I encountered an error during the install of a deb which
led me to the discovery that my current init system is
still sysvinit.

The error was:

/sbin/init: invalid option -- '-'
Usage: init {-e VAR[=VAL] | [-t SECONDS]
{0|1|2|3|4|5|6|S|s|Q|q|A|a|B|b|C|c|U|u}}

Thanks to the wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/Init

I determined that in all likelihood I am still using
sysvinit, which circumstance was responsible for that
error.

Problem: The wiki article suggests how to switch from
systemd to sysvinit, but is not forthcoming as to the
converse change, hence my Subject: line.

How should I approach this change with an eye to maximum
safety?

Thank you

--
Man is essentially a dreamer, wakened sometimes for a
moment by some peculiarly obtrusive element in the outer