On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 12:42:37PM -0000, Curt wrote:
> On 2019-06-22, Andy Smith <a...@strugglers.net> wrote:
> > I am not aware of any other compression tool that offers to do what
> > gzip's --rsyncable option does, but I owuld be interested if there
> > are some that I overlooked.
>
> zstd introduced an '--rsyncable' flag with version 1.3.8 (available from
> stretch-backports for those using stable).

I guess I'd like to know what makes a compressed file rsyncable -- I guess that
means it is compressed so that a single change doesn't change many or all
parts of the file.

If an encryption method attempted to do the same thing (to create an rsyncable
encrypted file), that might compromise the encryption of the file.

(And, I think it has been at least implied in the thread, that any file can be
transferred by rsync -- to be rsyncable I assume (I know) means that there are
enough unchanged "segments" of the file after a change to the unencrypted file
that the rsync algorithm is worthwhile (the computational cost of the rsync
algorithm is paid back in terms of a shorter overall transfer time for the
file).