On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 11:06:43AM +0200, john doe wrote:

[...]

> Okay, as far as I understand it, depends means that it will be pulled as
> an dependency but not that it is required for it to work properly.
> What I'm starting to realise is that to much dependencies are pulled to
> implement lots of feature that is not always necessery.

That very much depends on the application: some (mis?) use dbus as a
dynamic linking facility which could be as well served by shared objects.

Kind of a Rube Goldberg way of doing dynamic linking -- but that's my
opinion, you'll find others.

Bluez is one example. Since it is the only bluetooth framework available
under Linux, that means: no dbus -> no bluetooth.

Others just complain that there's no dbus and carry on (X is one example.
This from my Xorg.0.log (line wrap by me):

  [   354.912] (EE) dbus-core: error connecting to system bus:
              org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound (Failed to connect
              to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or
              directory)

> Before posting to the list, a google search let me think that dbus is
> only required when DE is wanted.
> Do you have online documentation that would explain why dbus is required
> when no DE is used?

It is a desktop invention (it was introduced by Havoc Pennington, after
much frustration trying to adopt Corba for the Gnome Desktop: compared
to that, DBus was, indeed, progress. KDE had a similar frustration with
its own distributed object monster -- uh -- model and followed suit).

But since then it has expanded to non-desktop things.

I've got quite a few beefs with DBus, which I won't expand here, but
that's why I try to find out how far I can go without it. Turns out,
for my use case, pretty far.

Cheers
-- tomás