On Mon, Sep 02, 2019 at 09:30:44AM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Computer Planet wrote:
> > Is It possible to print of a string at the exit of a bash script?
> > e.g.: user@mypc: # bash script has just finished! [prompt]
> > with the prompt that remains immediately after the string printed.
>
> Do you mean something like this ?
>
>   $ echo -n 'user@mypc: # bash script has just finished! '
>   user@mypc: # bash script has just finished! $

Yep, that's possibly the easiest option: doing the "painting"
from whithin the script and not from the enclosing shell.

Another avenue would be, since PS1 does shell expansion dynamically,
to embed some command à la $(foo) whithin PS1. How that command
communicates with your script is left as an exercise to the reader :)

To illustrate what I may have expressed poorly above, try

  export PS1='Today is $(date). Your wish is my command: '

Have fun :)
-- t