On Thu 12 Sep 2019 at 22:16:45 (-0500), John Hasler wrote:
>  David Wright writes:
> > Odd that they decided to employ that logic in the 21st century after
> > (most) clocks had ceased to tick.
>
> All clocks tick.  "Tick" no longer means "emit a noise once per second"
> in modern chronometry.

The sun doesn't.

> > But it is remarkable to use logic to prove a contradiction...
>
> What contradiction?

That meridies could also be either ante meridiem or post meridiem.
I thought that was your argument for 'call it noon. Say "12 noon"
if you feel like being redundant.'¹

> > ...and infinitesimals...
>
> No infinitesimals here.  Perhaps some limits.

Yes, when you're starting from clicks. But time is continuous.

> > ...to explain an arbitrary colloquialism.
>
> Describe, not explain.  Most people use it so the rest of us have to
> deal with it, like it or not.  They are going to assume that you know
> what they mean by "12PM".  If you don't assign the same meaning to it
> that they do you will be late for your meeting.

A description needs no logic. The problem, as I see it, is that people
invoke logic to explain why *their* choice of am or pm for 12 noon is
the "correct" one.

A meeting is unlikely to be at 12 midnight unless it's an esbat.
But if a *Newfoundlander* invites you for "a lunch at 12", best
check what they mean.

¹ 12 noon might be redundant, but if you ever print a poster or
suchlike, you realise that when people scan it for the time of
the event, their eyes are searching for numbers, not words.
So you might write that a meeting is at noon in running text,
but the poster needs the digits "12".

Cheers,
David.