Op Sun, 15 Sep 2019 16:55 -0700, pe...@easthope.ca wrote:
> *     From: Dan Ritter <d...@randomstring.org>
> *     Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 08:26:18 -0400
> > Open a new image.
>
> Right.
>
> > Set the background to transparent.
>
> Haven't quite got that.

File > New
In the dialog 'Create a New File':
Advanced Options > Fill with > Transparency

> From reading a few weeks ago, I added an alpha channel
> (Layer > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel).  Don't see how to make
> anything transparent.

Then select everything you want to make transparent and delete, OR:
Layer > Transparency > Color to Alpha
then change any color (usually white) to 'Alpha', i.e. transparency.

Note that it cannot be exported to jpg, because it does not support
transparency.  png does.

> > Draw an arrow. Save it. Don't close it.
>
> I managed to choose the pencil, set the background color to white
> and the forground to red, and drew an arrow with straight lines using
> the shift constraint.

Note that a script for drawing an arrow exists, which makes it a lot
easier. It can be found in many places, e.g. here:
www.gimp-forum.net/Thread-Arrow-Script
I have the script arrow-set-size.scm in ~/.config/GIMP/2.10/scripts
Then in Gimp: Tools > Arrow-set-size

> > Create a new layer on top.
>
> Is another layer necessary?  Can't the arrow be pasted directly onto
> the image?

I guess that a separate layer makes it easier to position the arrow.
Then Image > Flatten Image to join the layers.