On Sun 11 Aug 2019 at 19:55:12 (+0200), to...@tuxteam.de wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 07:11:19PM +0200, Mart van de Wege wrote:
> > Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net> writes:
> > > Curt Howland composed on 2019-08-09 13:53 (UTC-0400):

> > > Several things it brings to the table:
> > > 1-avoids /dastardly/ "flicker" on mode switching during startup
> > > 2-bling/eye candy during startup
> > > 3-bloats initrd
> > > 4-encryption handling
> > > 5-yet another tool for systemd to disrupt startup/shutdown
> > >
> > And beyond the FUD:
> >
> > 6. Make sure that the console is sane when you try to provide things
> > like LUKS passphrases; the default bootup console will happily overwrite
> > the prompt [...]
>
> Huh? Under what conditions does this happen?

Under stretch, I haven't had random messages being written to the
console during boot up while I type my passphrase.

However, while I iron out several wrinkles in buster on this laptop,
I've having to boot back and forth quite frequently (to make
comparisions) and I am getting this quite a lot.

2019-09-07:

[  OK  ] Activated swap /dev/disk/by-label/swan10.
[  OK  ] Reached target Swap.
         Mounting FUSE Control File System...
[  OK  ] Mounted FUSE Control File System.
[  OK  ] Mounted /media/swan02.
[  OK  ] Mounted /media/swan03.
[  OK  ] Started Load/Save RF Kill Switch Status.
Please enter passphrase for disk Linux-Home (swanhome) on /home! ********[
9.795960] Bluetooth: hci0 command 0xfc05 tx timeout
[    9.795964] Bluetooth: hci0: Reading Intel version information failed (-110)
********************
[  OK  ] Started Cryptography Setup for swanhome.
[  OK  ] Found device /dev/mapper/swanhome.
         Starting File System Check on /dev/mapper/swanhome...
[  OK  ] Reached target Encrypted Volumes.
[  OK  ] Reached target System Initialization.

2019-09-17 early:

[  OK  ] Mounted FUSE Control File System.
[  OK  ] Mounted /media/swan11.
[  OK  ] Mounted /media/swan01.
Please enter passphrase for disk Linux-Home (swanhome) on /home: [    8.946669]
Bluetooth: hci0: unexpected event for opcode 0xfc2f
*****************************
[  OK  ] Found device /dev/mapper/swanhome.
[  OK  ] Started Cryptography Setup for swanhome.
[  OK  ] Reached target Local Encrypted Volumes.
[  OK  ] Reached target System Initialization.

2019-09-17 just now:

[  OK  ] Started File System Check Daemon to report status.
[  OK  ] Mounted FUSE Control File System.
[  OK  ] Mounted /media/swan03.
[  OK  ] Mounted /media/swan02.
Please enter passphrase for disk Linux-Home (swanhome) on /home: ****[
36.800915] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.PCI0.LPCB.EC0.WADR,
AE_AML_LOOP_TIMEOUT (20180810/psparse-516)
[   36.807470] ACPI Error: Method parse/execution failed \_SB.IAOE.GAOS,
AE_AML_LOOP_TIMEOUT (20180810/psparse-516)
************************************
[  OK  ] Found device /dev/mapper/swanhome.
[  OK  ] Started Cryptography Setup for swanhome.
[  OK  ] Reached target Local Encrypted Volumes.
[  OK  ] Reached target System Initialization.

Other messages that are sometimes involved as their timing can vary by
one or two seconds:

[    8.328718] kvm: disabled by bios
[    8.375188] kvm: disabled by bios
[    8.426377] kvm: disabled by bios