On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 03:07:15AM -0000, Debian Buster wrote:

> Posible Options:
> 1. if you use lilo, look for a copy of parttions table.
> 2. create the parttion exactly as it was.

I'm running GRUB not lilo -- used lilo back in the 90's but switched to
grub whenever Debian started prescribing it (or more accurately when I
noticed). That's probably around Woody or so -- I was away for a while.

Option 2 above nailed it -- using cfdisk to create a partition filling
the whole disk caused cfdisk to immediately recognise the installed file
system. I recognise that was only that easy to do because I knew that
the original partition arrangement was so simple. If it had been more
complex I would likely have been hosed.

Anyway, dodged a bullet there -- thanks a lot for your help!

Mark