Le 05/01/2020 à 18:50, Joe a écrit :

Windows uses a swap file, not a separate partition. We are told that
there is no performance penalty for Linux to do so also.

Using a swap file can cause a performance penalty if the file is heavily fragmented. Granted, it also applies to a fragmented LVM logical volume, but the granularity is bigger (4 MiB extents for LVM vs 4 KiB for usual filesystem blocks). Also, not all filesystems support swap files properly. For those which don't, you can still use a swap file through a loop device, but this will cause a performance penalty and I doubt it is supported in /etc/fstab.

As far as I can recall, the expert system allows you to designate
existing partitions to be used or not, and also whether to reformat
them.

This has nothing to do with the expert install but with the manual partitioning, which is also available in the standard install.