On Thu, 30 Jan 2020, rhkra...@gmail.com wrote:

I just bought a used KVM switch (Belkin F1DS104J) and it requires power (9VDC
(and has a power brick)), but the instructions say that it
should be powered up before the attached PCs.

My computers (at least the CPUs) are on a UPS to guard against brief power
outages (thankfully fairly rare -- knock on wood).

My question: Does that mean I need to put the KVM on the UPS as well? If I
don't, would I have to reboot the CPUs after I get the KVM
powered again?

I don't know how you manage your UPS unit, but if wall power loss causes messages to appear on screen giving you advance warning of a possible system shutdown, then you probably need to have the switch powered via the same UPS.

Roger