On Wed 05 Feb 2020 at 16:47:13 (-0500), Greg Wooledge wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 05, 2020 at 01:43:37PM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> > I don't suppose either of us will meet a UUID collision in our
> > lifetimes, and it's obviously a sensible scheme to use where there
> > are large numbers of commoditised objects to name.
>
> Usually a UUID collision is a result of a subtle mistake, like cloning
> a disk and then trying to mount a file system by UUID while the clone
> is still attached.  At least, that's the first scenario I can think of.

There are versions of UUIDs that aren't quite what they seem;
IOW there are predictable ones. There are means of placing strings
into positions where UUIDs are expected, eg tune2fs -U. There's a
vanishingly small probability that a human will spot a deliberately
altered UUID. My assumption in writing the above was that we are
honest brokers, generating UUIDs in a random manner.

In the absence of a RNG of any quality whatsoever, I think the
cryptographic vulnerability of the system will exceed the likelihood
of UUID collisions occurring. I have no information to back that up :)

Cheers,
David.