Quoting D. R. Evans (2020-02-12 23:54:16)
> Jonas Smedegaard wrote on 2/12/20 3:19 PM:
>
> > Another thing you might try is go "below" Pulseaudio and mess
> > directly with ALSA settings:
> >
> > Install the package alsa-utils and run (in a terminal) the tool
> > alsamixer
> >
> > By default it will probably show a single volume control for a
> > virtual audio card called Pulseaudio - switch to your real
> > underlying audio card by hitting F6 and select it.  Try play around
> > with that...
>
> All the outputs are set to 100. Lowering them does make things (even)
> quieter; but that's not very helpful, of course.

I recommend to play with other tunables than the volume controls alone -
but if your audio card is simple then possibly there are none.

I also suggest that you try test audio levels of other programs than the
ones you normally use - to rule out eventual presets in those
applications.  My favorite general audio/video player is mpv.  Others
swear to mplayer (which predates mpv) or VLC (which each too much
resources in my experience) or various GStreamer based tools which again
is more resource heave in my experience.  An area righ in bikeshedding.

Next layer is the system configuration of ALSA.  Look at /etc/alsa/* and
/usr/share/alsa/* and read the documentation and engage in chat forums.

Next layer after that is the kernel modules. Look at /etc/modprobe.d/*
and /etc/modules-load.d/* and /etc/modules and
/etc/initramfs-tools/modules and read various documentation etc.

Or buy an audio card.  Which one to pick depends on several factors, and
has plenty of room for bikeshedding.  Personally I would buy either a
dirt cheap no-name USB card or one specific one which is not really
cheap nor very featureful except one feature that I have looked high and
low for: a single minijack plug (not two separate ones) for both audio
in and out following the CTIA wiring standard same as non-chinese-market
smartphones (so that I can easily use it for video conferencing):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_connector_(audio)#TRRS_standards -
the only audio card I have found supporting that standard is the "Sound
BlasterX G1" from Creative.

My help stops here...

Good luck,

 - Jonas