Hi Christoph.

Quoting Christoph Pleger (2020-02-14 13:25:24)
> I created a PAM configuration with the goal to make it possible that a
> user can either login by inserting a smartcard into a card reader and
> entering the correct PIN, or by entering the traditional UNIX
> password. This is what my /etc/pam.d/common-auth looks like:

[...]

> auth    [success=2 default=ignore]      pam_p11.so
> /usr/local/lib/libcvP11.so

[...]

> This works nearly exactly as desired, "nearly" because though the
> login with unix password works, the application shows "Login failed"
> for a short time. Is there something I can change in the above file to
> avoid this message?

I don't know what local library it is you used, but I encourage you to
consider the use of Debian packages libpam-p11 libpam-pkcs11 and
libpam-poldi - or if you already considered those then share why you
rejected them.

...and then I suggest check their documentation - perhaps they already
cover the combination use case that you are exploring.

 - Jonas