I run a debian house server for firewall, routing etc. The last few years I've also run gitlab on it, which I use to manage text files I work on from an assortment of laptops/PCs; I have a lot of these files (currently around 12 Gb) and really don't want to lose them. After the initial setup I didn't do anything with the gitlab code and don't even remember what version it was.

So this week, without thinking particularly about gitlab, I upgraded from stretch to buster. No complaints during the upgrade, but gitlab no longer worked (now dependent on a directory called 'embedded' which I don't have). So I followed the recommendation on https://wiki.debian.org/gitlab to update gitlab using buster-fastrack. This installed an alarmingly huge number of ruby and node dependencies, then failed informing me that I the database changes were too big to go straight from my old version to the current debian one, and that I need to transition through version 11.11.0 first.

There is no debian package for this, and 11.11.0 is only available from gitlab.com as a docker install, but I'm running directly on my host.

Can anyone suggest how to get myself a working gitlab again. without losing the current data? I could live with a command-line only version, if I couldn't get the web side working again.

Thanks for any advice

Graham