dont even try and install any gui stuff. (networking should get setup even
with the most minimal setup.  Just do a very minimal install  test
networking (ping) then do a dist upgrade to testing and then installl X
stuff.

One thing, but if your networking was working during the install why did
you install firmware-realtek.  I would try removing that.  Linux keeps
networking stuff in so many different places now its difficult to know
where the setup files are kept.

I never venture out of stable nowadays so my advice may be outdated.

HTH
dan