Hi,

On Sun, 19 Apr 2020 12:57:12 -0400
The Wanderer <wande...@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Does holding a package to not-installed even work? I thought I'd tried
> that in the past, and had the result be ignored.

not sure about that, man apt-mark says

" hold is used to mark a package as held back, which will prevent the
package from being automatically installed, upgraded or removed."

But it might make sense that this will keep only packages that are
recommended from being installed, not those that are dependencies.
Maybe "depends" just takes precedence over "hold" when the user gives
apt instructions that basically are contradictory.

Regards

Michael

On my planet, to rest is to rest -- to cease using energy.  To me, it
is quite illogical to run up and down on green grass, using energy,
instead of saving it.
                -- Spock, "Shore Leave", stardate 3025.2