On Jo, 28 mai 20, 00:04:01, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I need to get something here wifi enabled so I don't run my sprint
> bill up. Just getting the weather does that. I probably need to update
> my dd-wrt router and enable the wifi in it, but I'll have to set it so
> the neighbors are locked out, probably by catching this ones MAC and
> disallowing anything else.

MACs can be cloned (though I doubt your neighbours would do this).

You will get better protection by enabling  WPA2-PSK (pre-shared key),
with encryption type AES and setting a reasonably long and complicated
password / phrase.

Unless you're neighbours are some super-hackers there's no real need to
go wild here, something like https://xkcd.com/936/ will be more than
enough (do note the words are *random*). There's xkcdpass in Debian and
several online password generators inspired by XKCD 936.

You might want to write the password on a piece of paper to show it to
guests that you want to grant access.

For additional protection DD-WRT can probably enable a dedicated "guest"
WiFi. This is useful only if you want to isolate guests from the rest of
your network while still allowing them to use your internet access.

Kind regards,
Andrei