On Friday 29 May 2020 13:19:27 Cindy Sue Causey wrote:

> On 5/29/20, J.W. Foster <jfoster81...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > So just to be fair this is NOT a Debian specific issue as I run
> > several distros including Debian and Windows10. I have a recently
> > built DIY computer that is making a LOUD squealing sound. I thought
> > of fan bearings at first and I tried individually stopping each fan
> > to see if the noise stopped one was bad on the Enermax 360 cooler so
> > I replaced it. That seemed to get rid of the issue, but after about
> > 2 weeks it returned even louder. I checked every fan but none were
> > the culprit. I have checked the graphics card fans also and they are
> > fine. This only seems to leave the Enermax liquid cooler as a
> > possible issue.
> >
> > I have been on this list for MANY years and have an idea that
> > someone here may have had similar issues. If so, please advise as to
> > your solution, especially if the way it is mounted is of concern.
> > Mine is mounted vertically with the tubes at the top going to the
> > CPU mounting block. This is on a Ryzen 1950 CPU so I must have a
> > high capacity cooler.
>
> Apologies that I have no experience, well, beyond the little "Elf
> sneezes" my ASUS exhibits, but it occurred to me to ask if you have a
> way to post a sample sound byte that might help someone identify
> what's going on...
>
> Just thinking out loud.. :)
>
> PS The "Elf sneezes" turned out to be a last minute warning that the
> ASUS was overheating and was about to shut down posthaste, immediately
> thereafter, even. :)
>
> Cindy :)

I keep a session of gkrellm running on the right edge of the screen, and
one of the things it does is tell me how hot things are, and its telling
me the hottest in a 3.7GHZ i5 is physical id 0, at 31C. A 6 core i5 is
28C for all 6 cores, shown individually. IIRC you can have it turn the
numbers red if it gets above 75C.

Where is it that you are running to with that birdseed?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
 - Louis D. Brandeis