On 13/06/2020 04:26, Russell L. Harris wrote:
> In Debian 10, I need to view a mp4 video which I downloaded.  Using
> the menu:
>
>    APPLICATIONS -> Multimedia -> mpv Media Player menu
>
> I end up with a window labeled MPV with a black screen on which is
> what appears to be a START icon (an arrow) and the line:
>
>   Drop files or URLs to play here.
>
> Would someone kindly tell me how to make use of the mpv player?  The
> display makes no sense to me.  Is not "drop" an operation pertaining
> to the Window$ environment?  How does one go about dropping a file or
> URL on
> the window in the Linux environment?

mpv is a command-line application. That window is a minimal gui just to
be launched by desktop environments.

For a full gui player, try smplayer, which is a gui wrapper for mpv.
There are other options as well, but this is the one I use.

--
You have many friends and very few living enemies.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
edua...@kalinowski.com.br