mick crane wrote:
> I thought you put the options after a hyphen with tar ?

Tar accepts 3 styles of options. The style with a single dash is called
the 'UNIX' or 'short-option' style in the man page.

> "tar -cfvz archive_file.tgz ./directory_to_archive"
> doesn't work.

The `-f` option requires an argument, the tar file, so with your
command, tar would create an output file called 'vz'. The rest of the
command line is considered a list of files and directories to include in
the archive. Tar fails because the input file archive_file.tgz does not
exist.

Try `tar -cvzf archive_file.tgz ./directory_to_archive`.

Thomas