On Wed 22 Jul 2020 at 14:23:48 (-0400), rhkramer wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 7:08:40 AM EDT Andrew Cater wrote:
> > It should "just work" - if you can "ssh localhost" - the server is running.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  The problem is solved, and I'll mention the solution
> here with maybe more details in replies to Greg Wooledge and/or  Jonathan
> Dowland.
>
> The basic solution involved stopping gparted (I don't know why, but google
> found a page that described the same problem I had and the page said it
> occurred with gparted running and went away with gparted stopped.

AIUI gparted locks up the disks when you run it. Perhaps it's
something to do with its ability to move and resize partitions.
I certainly wouldn't try to carry out other administration tasks
while I was running a partitioner, particular one that doesn't focus
on a particular device.

> Anyway, what I wanted to say here is that it did not "just work" while I had
> that _.mount error, but I probably should have quoted a little more of the
> output from apt-get install before I stopped gparted.

Yes. Obviously.

> Here it is
>
> <quote>
> Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ssh.service → /
> lib/systemd/system/ssh.service.
> rescue-ssh.target is a disabled or a static unit, not starting it.
> Failed to start ssh.service: Unit -.mount is masked.
> invoke-rc.d: initscript ssh, action "start" failed.
> ● ssh.service - OpenBSD Secure Shell server
>    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/ssh.service; enabled; vendor preset:
> enabled)
>    Active: inactive (dead)
>      Docs: man:sshd(8)
>            man:sshd_config(5)
> dpkg: error processing package openssh-server (--configure):
>  installed openssh-server package post-installation script subprocess
> returned
> error exit status 1
> Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
> Processing triggers for systemd (241-7~deb10u4) ...
>  openssh-server
> Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked: Unit -.mount is
> masked.
> </quote>
>
> After shutting down gparted, I ran apt-get install openssh-server again, and
> did not get the message about _.mount being masked, and openssh-server is now
> running.  (With a slight problem which I'll look into (I can't ssh in as root
> -- but I assume I can find that problem -- I suspect something is preventing
> remote logins by root -- I know I've seen an option or such to do that, so I
> think I just have to find it again).)
>
> Hmm, I wrote enough here that I might as well try to finish the story, with
> what I might have written to Greg and/or Johnathan, which is basically the
> following:
>
> It's peachy that the problem is gone, but I really don't understand anything
> about what the problem was or why shutting down gparted solved it.
>
> I may (or may not) spend a little time digging into it (starting with finding
> out what a unit is in systemd, and does that somehow relate to a mount point,
> maybe in root, or if not, what specifically does -.mount refer to, and why it
> has to use a - (in fact, a double -) instead of a /).  And I will rant, just
> little bit ;-)
>
> Slight rant (something to ignore): I mean, it is frustrating that I now have
> to learn something new to do the same things I used to be able to do without
> learning that new thing.  (The new thing being systemd.  I might consider
> switching to a distro that does not use systemd, but I suppose that is just
> burying my head in the sand.)

Yes, normally you can't login as root remotely. The usual way round
this is to exchange ssh keys so you can use passwordless login.
How you exchange said keys is left as an exercise to think about
for a while.

> > On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 2:06 AM rhkramer <rhkramer....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I get this error when trying to apt-get install openssh-server on my (up
> > > date) Buster system:
> > >
> > > Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked: Unit -.mount is
> > > masked.
> > >
> > > I tried (based on the reference below):
> > >
> > > root@s32:/# systemctl unmask org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked
> > > Unit org.freedesktop.systemd1.UnitMasked.service does not exist,
> > > proceeding
> > > anyway.
> > >
> > > I don't really have a clue.  One googled page suggests
> > >
> > > <quote>
> > > Situation
> > >
> > > Checking the status of a service shows it is masked.
> > >
> > > Running systemctl unmask <unit file> doesn't change the status.
> > >

> > > Resolution
> > > The systemd unit file is empty.  Replace it in /usr/lib/systemd/system by
> > > reinstalling the package in which the unit file was contained.
> > > </quote>

Cheers,
David.