Thomas Amm <deb...@open-email.net> writes:

> On Sat, 2020-07-25 at 18:39 +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I wanted to capture my webcam streaming and audio using ffmpeg but
>> banged
>> against `a sea of troubles': sync problems, video freezing, video
>> stuttering,
>> background noise, choose of one format rather than other...  Mencoder
>> instead
>> at once easily, with:
>>
>>   $ mencoder tv:// -tv
>> driver=v4l2:width=640:height=480:device=/dev/video0:forceaudio:alsa:ad
>> evice=hw.1,0 -ovc lavc -oac mp3lame -lameopts cbr:br=64:mode=3 -o
>> webcam.avi
>>
>> did perfectly the job.  But Mencoder is hardly ever used compared with
>> ffmpeg...
>>
>> I wonder why so much difference in this case between the two
>> respective
>> behaviours and wish to know what you listers think about all that...
>>
>> thanks for any help
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> rodolfo
>>

> Mencoder basically uses the same libraries as ffmpeg (and a few more,
> IIRC). Having used both for years for standard (ripping, replaying,
> recencoding) tasks as well as for somewhat exotic stuff like streaming
> video sources from gadgets live into VJ mixers using all kind of filter
> in between I would say that mencoder is the app of choice if it gets the
> job done because it has much simpler options.
> FFMPEG comes into play whenever simpler options fail. As you noticed
> there are more options than anyone could memorize trying to cover even
> the most exotic use-cases.
> Your command line, BTW, looks very much like my standard section in
> .mplayer/config for live streaming/encoding from a webcam. I'd suppose
> reading the extra HTML-doc for mplayer. It's a relatively easy read.
> Getting into FFMPEG is certainly worth it, too - if you have specific
> needs.

Thanks...  I've always only used ffmpeg but now after this my last experience
I'm interested in learning to use mencoder as well...  But it seems to me that
the real problem with it is the lack of support...  I recently wrote to mplayer
mailing list with no answer, whereas mencoder specific mailing list looks
inactive with its 3 years ago last post...

rodolfo