Thank you.
On 2020-10-19 13:54, Charles Curley wrote:

Not all Ethernet or WiFi adapters are capable of changing MAC addresses.
Back in the early days, all MAC addresses were hard coded because that
was simpler for manufacturers. It also meant that all MAC addresses were
unique, so some manufacturers used the MAC address as a serial number
for their cards. It also meant that you would never have a collision,
two cards using the same MAC address on the same subnet.

Now many of them can change MAC addresses. I notice that my iPhone
under iOS 14 does so routinely (unless told not to) as an anti-tracking
ruse. A down side of this capability is that a malicious actor could
use the capability to spoof another device

Well, the strange part is that I am able to spoof the MAC address of the
WiFi adapter by manually running the following line, before bringing up
the adapter:
ip link set wlp2s0 address 02:01:02:03:04:08