On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 at 11:22, The Wanderer <wande...@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> On 2020-10-19 at 20:01, Bob Bernstein wrote:

> > I have noticed for several weeks that when I run "apt-get
> > upgrade" my kernel gets held back:

> If you run 'apt-cache show linux-image-amd64', I suspect that you will
> see that the previous (and currently-installed) version depends on a
> version-specific package which is currently installed, and the newer
> (and not-yet-installed) version depends on a version-specific package
> whose name specifies 4.19 (and possibly 4.19.152).

To add to The Wanderer's great answer, you might find the output
of the below command helps to clarify matters, because it tells about
the status of packages that are currently installed:
  $ apt list --installed --upgradeable 'linux-image*'

Whereas (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)
'apt-cache show' tells what is currently available from your
configured repositories, but does not indicate whether any of those
are currently installed, or not.