On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 11:01:19PM +0100, Miroslav Skoric wrote:
> At first, I wondered whether Pentium II Celeron 400 MHz, 224 MB RAM, would
> make it even bootable after upgrading 8 to 9. (Without any GUI, if needed to
> be removed before the upgrade).

Yes, it will boot, assuming the upgrade is done successfully.  You are
well above the minimum RAM requirements for Debian 9 (or 10).  IIRC the
minimum RAM requirement is around 80 MB for post-wheezy versions.  It
was 64 MB for wheezy.

> And when bootable, what GUI might be workable at best (Mate, Xfce, ...)?

I would go with a traditional window manager, not a desktop environment.

> At this stage (Debian 8) I do that in MATE + Thunderbird. It's slow but
> works. What is not known is whether that would work in Debian 9.

There's only one way to be sure.  I have no idea how much memory
Thunderbird uses.  It should "work", but if Thunderbird wants more
than 200 MB of RAM, it'll probably swap too much for comfort.