Stefan Monnier (12020-12-21):
> I can't see why it'd need to be around for very long, given that it can
> be replaced by Wayland + Xwayland.  So Xorg is only useful to the extent
> that it supports hardware that Wayland doesn't.

Quoting
https://wayland.freedesktop.org/docs/html/ch05.html#sect-X11-Application-Support-xwm
:

# From the X11 point of view, the X window manager (XWM) living inside a
# Wayland compositor is just like any other window manager.

So no, Xwayland cannot replace X.org: it cannot run window managers,
since only one window manager can run, and there's already one
hard-coded.

For the purpose of this very thread, this is completely unacceptable.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George