On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 03:18:40PM -0700, Charles Curley wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Dec 2020 15:45:37 +0000
> "Andrew M.A. Cater" <amaca...@einval.com> wrote:
>

> > Well, that's a good start :) The test suite we used to test for
> > stable release CDs is here:
> > https://wiki.debian.org/Teams/DebianCD/ReleaseTesting/Buster_r7?highlight=%28testing%29%7C%28cd%29%7C%2810.7%29
>
> First test subject. IBM ThinkPad R51, product name 1836Q4U. Installed
> via debian-bullseye-DI-alpha3-i386-netinst.iso. Expert install via text
> using a RW-CD. Language and keyboard are US English.
>
> File systems are all ext4, on top of LVM.
>
> Desktop: XFCE
>
> Running expert install.
>
> Usability note: It would be nice if the option to show a password in
> clear was above the widget for entering the password. That way one
> could select it or not with less tabbing.
>
> Bug??: DI incorrectly detected this machine as having EFI.

At the beginning? Did you get presented with the UEFI install and did it try
 to install grub-efi at the end (or did it just ask whether you wanted to
install grub in the efi fallback path - which is normal

> Bug!!: I tried loading the firmware for the wifi if. DI asked all the
> right questions, and I gave it all the right answers. But it never
> connected. The dhcp server never got a request, and on the target
> hardware, ethtool-lite reported "carrier down".

How did you try to load the firmware - via USB stick / untarring a tar ball?
What did it report in logs. Yes, I know, it's a nuisance installing firmware
this way but it ought to work.

> Graphics are slow but serviceable. Mozilla and LibreOffice are
> pathetically slow but usable in a pinch.
>
> --

Thanks for the report. All best,

Andy