On 28/01/2021 22:59, Robbi Nespu wrote:
Hello everyone,
I am curious something (as per title). I not sure whether to ask here or on devel mail list.

Yesterday on OFTC #debian, some guy ask about unfix CVE-2020-25681 to CVE-2020-25687 for dnsmasq[1] package on stable release.

I not using dnsmasq but I curious how and will it be backport to stable on cases like this?

Stable = 2.80-1 (vulnerable)
Testing = 2.83-1 (fix)
Unstable = 2.84-1 (fix)

There is 2 revision gap between stable and testing, do the security team will apply the fixes on 2.80-1 or will update the package rev up to 2.83-1?

1. https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/dnsmasq

As a general rule, fixes are backported to the current version in stable.

If it's simply not possible or very costly, it might happen that a new version is introduced, but this is rare.

--
Programmers do it bit by bit.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
edua...@kalinowski.com.br