On 16/02/2021 03:50, pe...@easthope.ca wrote:
> What serifed, variable-pitch font is available to Firefox and most
> contemporary browsers?  I want to specify a font-family in inline
> styling.  Preferably to work in MacOS and MS Windows as well as Linux.

Not a definitive list, but running "fc-list | grep -i Serif" should get
you part of the way (Aside: fc-list is supposed to have a filter
language of its own, but examples are few and far between on the web, so
I couldn't work out how to do "has serifs AND is variable pitch").

If, by the phrase "most contemporary browsers" you're implying that
you're writing a web page and want to know what fonts other people might
have, then it's worth looking at the W3C's recommendations for Web Safe
Fonts <https://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_websafe_fonts.asp>.